Monday, March 21, 2011

Demons

Classic pop songs are usually the ones you're sick of.  John Lennon's 'Imagine', Bob Dylan's 'Like a Rolling Stone', The Rolling Stones' 'Satisfaction', etc. etc. (though for the record I'm not sick of any of those songs).  And what makes them classics?  Well... for one, they're typically very simple.  No complex chord changes or melodies... just short, sweet, and to the point.

I have a memory from 2005 of being in London with some friends. One day I got food poisoning and was resting in Ted's bedroom listening to him play guitar in the other room. He's really good. And I remember thinking at that moment, "I want to move to New York City (I lived in Boston at the time) and start a band with Ted."  I was feeling very inspired. Within the next 6 months I had moved to NYC and started playing with Ted. Since then we've played in a band together for 4 years and toured around the country. But back then it was just the two of us. One of the songs we worked on was called 'Demons'. Ted had written it beforehand so I was just sort of playing along.

So what does all that have to do with classics?  Well... in my humble opinion this song is a classic.  It's simple, beautiful, short and sweet.  It makes you happy and sad and makes you think about yourself and others. For better or worse we never got to make a good recording of it but that doesn't matter for a song this good.  I went back and found the old demo we made of it and did a little remastering (not that it was ever mastered in the first place!).  If you've never heard this or haven't heard it in a while... take a listen.  Maybe you'll see what I mean when I say that this deserves to be called a classic:


1 comment:

thecookiepirate said...

Love the warm feeling this song gives off even though its about DEMONS! haha