Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Blossom Dearie: Dinnertime Jazz


(1959: Blossom Dearie)

 - I love the lyrics to this... really nice in contrast with her girlish voice.  Great simple 50's blues rhythm section too... really simple and clear... classic.


Blossom Dearie - Figure Eight (1973/1996: Schoolhouse Rock!)

 - From Schoolhouse Rock but later featured in the Squid and the Whale soundtrack where I first heard it.  Her voice is perfect for this song.  It's not really jazz but whatever. If you haven't done much math recently you can learn something from this.... and make sure you wait for the last lyric of the song... totally brilliant.


Blossom Dearie - Sweet Georgie Fame (1970: That's Just the Way I Want to Be)

 - This is my favorite... it's got a whole big orchestra on it which is uncommon for her. 


For 20 P&P points: Some of the lyrics in 'Blossom's Blues' are found in a Beatles recording.                                Which song?

3 comments:

Brady said...

This wasn't as easy to figure out as I thought!

The Beatles sing about the dangers of shaking peach trees in "Matchbox" (on Pastmasters). Listening to it right now!

Brady said...

Not one of my favorite Beatles songs, btw.

Pongo said...

Haha... very good! Yea... not one of my favorites either... Carl Perkins original version is better.