Saturday, April 09, 2011

Guest Post: Era-less

By Alanna Gluck

Will my generation look back on our time in Williamsburg the way the previous generations look back at Haight-Ashbury?  When my pops talks about the Fillmore West I start to wonder if I’ll do the same about venues like North Six, Galapagos, and Luna Lounge (ugh, I mean Music Hall of Williamsburg, Public Assembly, and the New Knitting Factory.  I’m getting old).

I guess decades or locales don’t really matter.  Truly great music could be from any time or place.  Check these two favorites out: 40 years and 847 miles separate them.

The Velvet Underground - I’m Waiting for the Man (1967: The Velvet Underground & Nico)

The Black Lips - I Saw a Ghost (Lean) (2007: Good Bad Not Evil)

Hippies or Hipsters?  Hard to tell, right?


2 comments:

Hendrick said...

Very cool analogy....

RockinBud said...

Very Cool, Hippie or hipster if you've got it you got it