Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Intimate Voices

Philip Glass - String Quartet No. 3 (Mishima): Mishima Closing (1985: Kronos Quartet)

“    It is an enormous spider that now cannot move;
a colorless spider, whose body,
a head and an abdomen, bleeds. 

    Today I watched it up close. With what effort
toward every side
it extended its innumerable legs.
And I have thought about its invisible eyes,
the spider’s fatal pilots.

    It is a spider that tremored caught
on the edge of a rock;
abdomen on one side,
head on the other. 

    With so many legs the poor thing, and still unable
to free itself. And on seeing it
confounded by its fix
today, I have felt such sorrow for that traveler. 

    It is an enormous spider, impeded by
its abdomen from following its head.
And I have thought about its eyes
and about its numerous legs…
And I have felt such sorrow for that traveler!”

By César Vallejo (Peru, 1892-1938)

From the poem: The Spider (Translated by Clayton Eshleman)

RatTail - Gasmask (2009: Demo)

3
To all, I closed my heart without wanting to.
I have lost the little key.
Perhaps it has fallen in a channel
Or it floats, confused,
In the river that separates human beings.
But I am not afraid:
Maybe one day you’ll find it
Opening in a birthday
A surprise.

By Luis Hernández (Peru, 1941-1977)

From the poem: Intimate Voices (Translated by Lena Retamoso)

1 comment:

Pongo said...

For more from Vallejo go here: http://writing.upenn.edu/pennsound/x/Eshleman.php and here: http://www.molossus.co/interview/stealing-fire-for-his-own-furnaces-clayton-eshleman-on-translation/

For more Hernández and Intimate Voices in the original Spanish go here: http://www.illari.org/VOX/hernandez.html#YO